Working in Québec

Work and Social Insurance Number

During their stay in Canada, foreign students who have a valid study permit are allowed to work on the UdeM campus. At the graduate level, it is possible to hold the position of research or teaching assistant (monitor, corrector, etc.) These positions are filled based on the academic records of the applicants and the needs of departments.

To work outside of the campus, the student must :

-have a valid study permit

-be enrolled full-time (except for the summer)

-be enrolled in a program that leads to a diploma from UdeM (that excludes students in exchange program, free student and student in Année de transition)

The study permit issued by the Canadian authorities takes the place of a work permit. Students are allowed to work up to 20h/week during study period (up to 40h during periods of vacations or study breaks).

For students who are required to take a compulsory internship (paid or not) in the framework of their program of studies at the Université de Montréal can apply for a Co-op or intern work permit . That application is free and can be made while asking for a study permit.

Foreign students who have obtained a degree from a Canadian educational institution can ask for a Post-graduation work permit. Students have 90 days after the end of the program to apply for that work permit and must have a valid study permit at the time of application. They will have to provide a proof of end of studies (Final grade scale, letter of the Registrar’s office or the Faculty of graduate studies).


Social insurance number (SIN)

If students wish to start working and receiving a salary, they must require a Social Insurance Number. Service Canada will issue a social insurance number. The study permit need to show that the student has a right to work off campus.

To apply for a SIN, you must provide your study permit issued by IRCC. It is valid when itindicates that the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada.

?If the study permit does not indicate “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada, an international student may still obtain a SIN if the following documents is presented along withthe study permit:


a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 11, 2015.

?If any of these requirements is not satisfied, the international student can contact IRCC toverify his eligibility to present a request for an amendment for their study permit.


How to apply for a SIN