Living in Montreal


Public transport
The Montreal Transport Society – Société de transport de Montréal (STM) operates the metropolis’ subway and bus network, as well as many of the suburbs of the Montreal island.
All the schedules and routes are available on the STM website (the tool “Tous azimuts”). To know the schedule of the upcoming buses passing, note the stop number closest to you and call 514-AUTOBUS (514 288-6287)

The right of passage can be paid for by purchasing an Opus card, rechargeable according to your needs. For example, you may charge a monthly pass, a weekly pass or a series of single passes from the STM.
Students between the ages of 18 to 25, registered full-time can benefit from a reduced monthly fee. You must get the Opus card personalized with a photo. To do so, complete the application form of admission for the Opus card
Have with you:
-ID card with picture
-Registration certificate (on-line, on your Centre étudiant)
-Proof of residency in Montreal

Cabs or Taxis
To take a cab, you may intercept one on the street or call a cab company to ask for a vehicle at a precise address. The fare, fixed by a meeter, is $3.45 at departure and $1.70 per kilometer + $0.63/ minute for any delay. 


Coop Taxi Montreal

Taxi Royal

Taxi Diamond

514 725-9885

514 274-3333

514 273-6331


From a smart phone:




Traveling Bus
The Bus network is operated by various companies that provide daily transport inside Canada, as well as to the United States. The Central bus station – Station centrale d’autobus is the arrival point of most of the buses coming from Quebec, Canada and the USA.
Central bus station- Station centrale d’autobus
505, blv. de Maisonneuve Est (metro Berri-UQAM)
514 842-2281

To go from one town to another other than by train or bus, a carpooling service exists in Montreal and in the big towns of Quebec; it finds a driver going to the same town as you.

Allo Stop
3694, rue Saint-Denis
514 985-3032



Lepouceux (link in French)

Driver’s license
You can drive a car in Quebec if you detain a valid driver’s license issued by your country. In that case, you must also have on you your study permit and your student ID.
A driver’s license in a language other than French or English must be accompanied by an international driver’s license. This license can be obtained in your country.
For additional information, you can contact the Societe de l’assurance automobile du Quebec (SAAQ).

Car rental
There is short or long term rental for all brands. However, most companies require:
-age 21 or older
-a valid driver’s license
-a credit card

Check the Yellow Pages for a list of car the rental companies.

Other car options might include:

Communauto offers self-service cars. Different membership and packages are available.

Car2go provide carsharing services for one-way point-to-point rentals. Users are charged by the minute, with hourly and daily rates available